How to Pick the Right Keywords for your Website
SFteam SFteam
Search Engine Optimisation
October 14,2014

How to Pick the Right Keywords for your Website

Keywords aren’t just for SEO purposes; remove that thought! Keywords are what your potential traffic are typing in to get what they need from your website. There is no point in ranking for an awesome keyword when it is completely irrelevant to what someone is searching.

How do I know this is getting me Traffic or if it’s the Right Keyword?

keyword research meme

By doing research. You can’t just pick the right keyword unfortunately. Here’s how to go about it:

1. What is each page about and what your market is going to search.
a. If a woman wants a yellow shirt in Brisbane she’s not going to type in “shirt” she might use “yellow shirt for women” or “yellow women’s shirt in Brisbane”. Expand and get descriptive to attract the right consumer.

2. Use tools like Ubersuggest, Bing Ad Intelligence or even look at the suggested variations of search terms on the bottom of page one of Google. If you have the time, possibly do a general survey from your current clients of what they would type. Different people have different thought processes.

3. Pop all these keyword into tools like Google Keyword Planner and filter out keywords that have no search volume and are worthless to target. While doing this, GKP will offer you even more alternative keywords.

Don’t get swept away by all the amazing keywords with huge search volumes. While this is easy to do, you will, without a doubt, have a list of 50+ keywords for one page. Stick with relevance. With the new Hummingbird update, Google is able to understand that two different keywords and synonyms apply to the same entity. This concept is further explained in one of our previous blog posts ‘Optimising your Content Marketing & Writing for Google Hummingbird’.

Long or Short Tail Keywords

long tail short tailThe general rule for keyword length is the shorter the keyword, the higher the competition. It’s therefore better to go for long tail keywords. Long tail keywords could include locations or adjectives (as the example above mentions). According to Moz, ‘popular’ short tail keywords make up less than 30% of searches of the web, because in reality, if a man is looking for shirt, he doesn’t want results showing him shirts for women or how shirts are made. That’s where the other 70% come in – these long tail keywords are used more and will convert better. Someone who searches for something specific obviously knows what they want and you will have a better chance of gaining a sale.

How many Keywords per Page?

I’ve previously mentioned in another article ‘Common SEO Questions‘ that there is no right amount of keywords to use, just as long as everything you write on that page is topically relevant. Search engines are smart enough to work out what the general gist of the page is without you placing a bunch of exact match keywords in there.

Stick with one to two Relevant Keywords:

When picking keywords for a page, you don’t want to target 10 different keywords in the one page. Pick one or two similar keywords. That way, when you’re writing content for that page, your keywords will be in theme and flow, as opposed to being vague on numerous topics. Essentially, if you attempt to target a bunch of keywords, you’re diluting the page’s worth and authority on the topic amongst other pages. Search engines will crawl it and determine it’s not AS relevant for the search term you might want to rank for.

Finally, if you’ve read this and thought, “Nope, there should be an easier way to optimise my site for keywords”, remember what website you’re on and give us a call!

Search Engine Optimisation
October 14,2014

Author: SFteam

Get In Touch
Get In Touch